The Ten Books I'd Need On A Desert Island

I saw this meme somewhere and really liked it. They're not all classics and some of them are out of print, I'm afraid, but these are the books that I couldn't live without on my desert island and my reasons:

1. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen): I'd need to fantasize about Mr.Darcy and the usually perceptive Elizabeth's company!

2. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell): I'd need all of Scarlett's gumption and more to survive on and escape from being stranded on the island.

3. Crime and Punishment(Dostoevsky): This story of redemption is ultimately comforting, and I'd study the knife-like precision of the writing.

4. Anne of the Island (L.M. Montgomery): Anne's bright spirits would cheer me up, not to mention beloved Gilbert, and this is my favourite 'Anne' book.

5. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith): This rags-to-riches story is also one of my favourites.

6. How Sleep the Brave (Catherine Gavin): This is a story of heroism and courage during the French Resistance.

7. The Free Frenchman (Piers Paul Read): Another story of courage and integrity during the trauma of the war.

8. War in Val d'Orcia (The Diaries of Iris Origo): These are the diaries of an Italian aristocrat who at first favoured Mussolini but soon changed her mind, and found herself caught directly in the trauma of the battle.

9. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte): I would need all of Jane's good sense.

10.A Candle for St.Jude (Rumer Godden): My favourite Godden book. This combines the beauty of ballet with Catholic spirituality.

Comments

Popular Posts